Thursday, November 12, 2009

Quick Write on "The White Rose"

"THOSE WHO DO NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT". I dunno who said that, but it's truer than the day is long. Reading this short little diddy ('bout Jack and Di-aaaane), I couldn't help but think about how often people stand up for what is right in their minds, but not on the streets. Is it because we're afraid of people's perception of us or is it because we honestly don't care? Upon thinking about this even further, I came to the realization that it's both and it's neither (As odd as that sounds). On one hand, most people care too much about what other people think, about fitting in than being different and doing what they believe is right. But it's like John Lennon said, "I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people.". I only hope that more people live by those words in the future.

However, there's another hand to this argumentative beast, isn't there (Or would it be paw in that case?)? I think that some people don't NOT care about what they are claiming to fight for, so much as I believe they don't care ENOUGH about it. Let's think about this - if someone were to say, "You can end the war in Iraq RIGHT NOW, but I have to shoot you here and now to do it" would you take that trade? Of course you SAY you would, you wanna sound all big and bad, like Bruce Willis in Die Hard. You wanna be the absolute BADASS, who'll kill and give their lives for their cause. But if someone actually holds a pistol TO YOUR SKULL, and says, "End the war. A life for a thousand!" how many of you would actually do that? Almost none, I can guarantee it. Why? Because we care about our lives just a little more than the lives of others.

1 comment:

  1. "THOSE WHO DO NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT."

    My HS history teacher had a joke saying Hitler's history book only went up to before Napolean's invasion of Russia.

    ReplyDelete