Thursday, March 17, 2011

Discovering Ashes (11)

Immediately, I moved into the station itself. Inside, it was dark. Of course, that's something I should've expected from a rundown, abandoned train station, even in the afternoon! But something about it was off. It was too dark inside. With the sun blazing down outside, it should've been dark, but I still should've been able to see for Christ's sake!

“'ey Jack, Imma head to the left, see what's down that way. Alright?”

Did Dex say something? I wasn't too sure. I kept hearing something in the distance. Echoing.

“You hear that?” I asked. “It's like a... kid. I swear, I hear a kid down here!”

“A kid? You're hearin' things, Jackie-boy!”

“Heh.. Yeah, you're probably right. Just the wind or somethin', right?”

Dex moved off to the left, mentioning that he'd be down that way if I needed him or something. That sound I kept hearing was still nagging at me. The way the building looked on the inside wasn't helping matters, either. The wind or whatever it was that kept making that noise was making me a bit uneasy. It sounded... human, but not. And the way the crumbling walls looked in the darkness around me? It just made the whole area look – what? Odd? Out of it? Alien? Yeah, Alien's a good way of putting it. It didn't look or sound or feel like anything any sane person would ever build!
Shaking my head, I tried to get rid of the uneasiness. Nothing doing.

“S'okay, Jack,” I assured myself. “Just your mind playing tricks on ya.”

I walked forward, trying to keep an eye out for anyone or anything suspicious. Maybe I'd find the murderer and get some kind of medal? Would be kinda hard to know who he was or anything, though, since I didn't get to look at the body. How would I know what weapon he used?
Dammit, Holmes! That's filed under 'Shit I Need To Know'!

I got really nervous as soon as that thought hit me. A few deep breathes should've calmed me down, but they didn't. I pulled my pistol and flashlight from their respective spots on my belt. My right thumb flipped the safety off while the other pushed in the button on the end of the flashlight. The light was pretty damn bright in the dark. It comforted me in a weird way. At least now I could see what was shadow and what was rubble!
To my immediate left was a set of stairs, leading down. It was a good thing I'd turned on my light when I did, because otherwise, I probably would've missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment