Thursday, March 17, 2011

Discovering Ashes (Part .... Whatever.)

Chuckling, Dex answered the call. Sam sounded pissed!.... Or possibly annoyed. With her, it was hard for me to tell sometimes!

“Hey there, Sam-Girl! Whatcha got for us?”

“Cut the crap, Dexter. We've got a two-forty-one on South Wenchester. All hands on deck for this one, boys!”

“ Two-forty-one?” I mouthed.

I could feel the blood rushing to my face. My heart skyrocketed. In some morbid way, I was excited, relieved to get away from the semi-boring life of handing out speeding tickets every day. A real, honest to God murder! God help me, I felt like I was about to jump out of my seat, giddy as a school girl! It meant that I was back to helping keep the streets clean, catching the real bad guys!

“Jesus Christ, Sam... Gimme an address, we'll be there as soon as we can.”

“2540. You'd better hurry.”

“2540?” I repeated. “That's the old Station, isn't it?”

Dex shrugged.

“We're already there, Sammy.”

***
I was a bit surprised to find that I was right when I asked if the address was the old train station. When we pulled up to it, I was mesmerized. I didn't really see the patrol cars or even the forensics van. My entire attention was drawn to the building itself. Dilapidated, rotting away. A shell of it's former self. But what was so impressive about it was the sculptures surrounding almost every arch and archway. Every window. Some were small, others were.... huge. But not.
It felt like I was sitting in the car for a lifetime, admiring the works. Drawn in by the building. But it can't have been long, because the sound of a door opening brought me back to real life. Back to what I could only assume would be perimeter duty.

I'll be damned if I get stuck keeping the press-jockeys out!

Dex and I walked in tandem towards the main group of cops and detectives. And who should be there to acquaint us with the scene but the Queen Bitch of Ineptitude herself; Dick Holmes.

“Oh Fuck meee....” I whispered to Dex.

“I know, right? Looks like a fuckin' cold one already.”

“I swear, I can feel the bitchiness, Dex. It's contaminating the air!”

I chuckled a bit when Dex let out a nice, loud laugh. I swear, the guy found anything funny. It was good to have him as a partner sometimes. He helped keep things lite. Of course, his laughter drew the attention of most of the force there. Including Holmes.

“Well, well, if it isn't Carnegie and his boyfriend! Good of you two to join us!” She chided.

“My my, Detective! You remembered my name! Did the Lieutenant tie a string 'round your finger this morning? Or did you have to study flashcards last night?!”

Holmes was quiet for a second. Dex flipped her the bird with a smile on his face. A few of the guys and gals around us laughed a bit. Given just what we were here for, I'm sure it was a welcome distraction.

“So what's the deal, Detective?” I asked after everything'd calmed down and she went back to barking out orders.

Holmes glared at me. I swore, she was trying to stare a hole right through me or something! I wonder if she wished she had laser vision or something like that?

“Since you seem to think that my job's so easy, Officer, then you get to go looking through the lower levels for any would-be murderers! Try not to touch anything... important, you got it? Mark and bag up evidence as you come across it.”

I thanked whatever God was listening that I wasn't stuck keeping random people behind the yellow tape. I'm sure Holmes thought she was being clever by 'forcing' me to go look for whoever might've done.... whatever had been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment