Monday, June 20, 2011

Discovering Ashes 15

When I came too, I was met first with a blinding light in my eyes and second with immense pain in the back of my head that spider-ed its way to the front and down my spine. Everything was fuzzy, hazy, and my mind refused to work correctly. The only thoughts I could really comprehend were ‘Where am I?’  and ‘What hit me?’. The first option I must’ve said at some point, because no sooner had I thought it, someone responded.

“Take it easy, Jack, You’re safe and sound! Well, safe anyway!” The voice crooned above me. The slight twang of a drawl made it very comforting in an odd way. Hell, even the laugh that followed it made me feel safer!  

“Wha…?” was all I could squeeze out before the voice cut me off again.

“Ah-ah-ah, Jack! You got yo’self a nasty bump dere! I’d take you upstairs, but ah tink yo’ friends might be a tad bit… upset at poor ol’ Vipah here”

“Vi…per?”

“De one an’ only, Jack! Y’see, ah been followin’ you fo’a long time. Long’ah den you could know! You’re special, Jack Carnegie! An’ ya pal Vipah gon’ tell you why.”

I tried to move, only to find my hands bound to whatever I was laying on - from the feel of it, it might’ve been a concrete slab, but as the light above me started to dim I don’t think it would’ve fit with my surroundings. Viper must’ve noticed my discomfort from how much I kept trying to get my hands free.

“Oh, you must f’give me, Jack! Where are m’manners today?!” He said cheerfully.

I felt the ropes holding my wrists loosen until they were free. I muttered a thanks as I sat up and started truly looking at what was around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment